Slowing Down

Last month I got on Kestrel a couple times, and while it was a milestone for us since our rollercoaster of a season last year, he still didn't feel right. I decided I wasn't going to ask him to carry me until he could do so more easily, so we've been working on strengthening his back.

This Spring during his chiro adjustment the vet found some soreness on his back behind his withers where his spine is starting to dip a bit with old age. To counteract that I bought a special wedge pad, but the main thing is going to be building his abdominals underneath to lift and support.

Yesterday we had a great groundwork session. We played with walk-trot-halt-trot transitions to engage his back and a couple times he lifted so much in front he offered a canter from the halt. But he can only offer so much.

Now that he's 20, it takes a long time to properly warm up, and by the time we get there he doesn't have a lot of energy left for the real work. Lets face it, he's been treated for Lyme 2x and Anaplasmosis once. I feel his fatigue. Most days I'm right there with him, my legs and hips being a constant issue, often feeling like they're running on their last fumes. Believe me, I want to ride, but it would be unfair to ask him to carry me when he's just as fatigued as I am.

So we're taking it slow, bringing awareness to how we're using our bodies moment to moment. Shoulder-in for bend and stepping under his weight. Spanish walk to lighten his forehand and lift his shoulders. Trotting poles to lift his back. And of course transitions transitions transitions...

It's crazy to see how much his back comes up behind his withers when he's engaged vs rest. I haven't heard the tell-tale "lazy back" sheath noises for weeks. But using those muscles properly takes a lot of energy.

For now we're two beings with physical limitations coming together to dance for a short time. I would love to be riding right now, but being fair to Kestrel is more important.




Comments