Horsemanship is More Than Just Riding

  

I can't tell you the number of times I've been out walking Kestrel and someone stops to say "You know you should be riding that horse..."

The truth is, riding is only a small part of the greater realm of horsemanship. The majority of people only get a small taste of this world through riding lessons, and I feel like that's a disservice to all that horses offer us.

Yes, riding is a great experience, it's a hook to pull you in, but from MY experience the majority of personal growth happens out of the saddle. There's so much training and care that has to be done before you can even think of throwing a leg over their back. Riding is the Pinnacle of being an equestrian, but you don't grasp how much time, money, effort and training went into getting to that point when you show up for a lesson and a horse is already cared for, groomed, tacked up and fully trained. From that limited vantage point you can't appreciate the whole picture. Not to mention there are horses that aren't suitable for riding, but that doesn't make them any less worthy of care and consideration.

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately because I'm not riding. I haven't ridden in 8 months. Do I miss it? You bet I do! But I'm not pushing it.

Riding is a privilege. Mind you, I didn't always have that mindset. Growing up competing and my time spent in the professional world, that wasn't the conditioning I received, but stepping back and finding my own path has made it part of my truth.


Nashon Cook once said: "You have to love horses before you love what they can do for you".



So much emphasis is put on what horses can do FOR us, rather than just appreciating horses for what they ARE.



Comments